Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Story of O

I know a true rock star, my friend O. A badass chick that just rocked my world with her courage to live and love fiercely and freely. I guess the story began as we waited in the terminal at JFK to board the first of our many flights from NY to India the steamy summer of 2005. I pulled out my pink journal with the silly cat on the cover and perkily jotted The adventure begins!!!! O smiled at me and just nodded, she then said quietly "I think this trip will change my life." Well it did, mine in that I greatly learned to appreciate beef and toilet paper. Hers in that she fell in love.
Tonight she boards a plane to London to be with that man she met 2 years ago, a friend of a friend of a friend at wedding for a friend, who shared a rickety tour bus with us as we jumbled our way to Sri Lanka, Nuyraila, and Bangalore. It was the first time I ever saw anyone fall in love. Love is so goofy, darting glances, silly talk that at times seem so profound, fumbled hand holding, you laugh too loud, and you smile too much, you never get anything right but it never feels wrong. I'm more of a lust girl, seeing them fall in love was cute.
Their dating was 2 years worth of e-mails, texts, and phone talks measured by the ticking minutes of calling cards. When they finally met again after 2 years they were engaged within a week. She came back from that visit with a halo. Caught up in the whirlwind we talked wedding, future plans, babies, I was happy for her and excited to see this story book romance continue along the lines of a fairy tale. (I guess like every other woman who has dreamed of being snow white or Cinderella, I want to believe it can happen)
Well then she bit the apple.
Across the Atlantic Ocean, snuggled in Notting Hill, stewing in dal, wrapped in chappiti, and praying to Balrama, he did the unthinkable, he sent a text to end the relationship. Love purgatory began.
All I could do was listen, there were theories, assumptions, analyzing, wailing, anger, alot of anger and tons of plans to move on. She decided to spend the summer visiting friends in different states, checking out each state as a potential place to live. Shrugging off her old life we agreed was key, freedom from memories and pain.
Three weeks ago she calls to tell me she was moving to London to be with him. He called, he was sorry, he loved her, he got scared, he wants her back, he wants her there and she said yes. She is leaving suburbia, america, she gave up her job, her home, is leaving her family, she is thrilled, not just because of him but because for the first time she isn't going the oh we better play it safe route. She's acting purely on love and gut. Her adventure begins. She told me tonight, I may get there and we can last a week or forever but I have to do this. Her mother is against it, her family thinks she is acting rash, everyone is wagging their finger and saying "I don't trust him, be careful" but my girl is rocking on! She is going to explore Europe with or without him, drink wine for breakfast and run with the bulls. This night as we spoke she sounded as light as snowflakes falling, she said for the first time she is going to do exactly what she wants to do not what is expected of her.
We had similar neat lives, education, comfortable boring jobs, and almost every do right do good category checked off. Good girls, we made our mother's proud so what if it is strangling us? O, the Rock Star, if I had a tenth of her courage I would...
"No one, No one, No one, getting in the way of what I feel for you"
Alicia Keys

No comments: