Tuesday, October 9, 2007

White Flag

and when we meet, I know we will, will we hold our tongues? I let go of two friendships this year two friendships I miss so much it's like the lines of my life are drawn in gray. The reasons are so stupid I'm ashamed, one we had a minor fight, I was wrong and I let pride prevent me from saying I was sorry, time has stretched into an abyss and I can't go back. The other, I hurt him, he was wonderful and he wanted to be more than a friend to me but he didn't meet my foolish standards and well, I guess a person can only take but so much. I tried to restore our friendship but he won't answer my calls. He's living by the rules that it's over and somehow I can't. I miss our conversations, his wisdom, his ability to keep things in perspective, and how he always tried to teach me that life is simple not as dramatic as I make it, I should have known he would have had no problem letting go.
And as it always is with my life, I will see them both again and what then? The last time I ended a relationship, I moved on so quickly the sore still oozes. When I met the guy again I couldn't surrender my pride and cut him again as he tried to talk to me. I wish now that I had heard him out and gotten some closure, there are no romantic feelings but when I see him it is uncomfortable.
Men always come again but is never the same and always the same, this time though, I will wave my white flag. Some things are too precious to lose to pride.
" Here you come again and here I go."
Dolly Parton

No comments: